Course instructors - click here for information about instructor reasources.
The history of a nation is told through the story of Abraham, Joseph, Moses, Samson, and many others all the way to Jesus' birth, preaching, and passion in perfect Latin. Since no student can truly understand and appreciate Western culture without some knowledge of the Bible, it is worthwhile to introduce all students to many of the Judaeo-Christian narratives which make-up a fundamental part of Western tradition and religion. The Epitome Historiae Sacrae (or Summary of Sacred History), a classic work by Charles-François Lhomond (1727-1794), which has been in regular use for over two centuries, is here resurrected for the modern student of Latin. Its utility has been tested around the world by generations of students who have benefited from both its overview of Biblical stories and the exemplary model of Latin prose.
With the view of rendering it more acceptable to the modern audience, Llomond's text is published here with a new and convenient arrangement of its contents, illustrated with beautiful historical paintings, and annotated according to the Ørberg method. Also included are useful appendices of names and timelines. Each section is followed by suitable lessons which foster active production of Latin and test the reader’s comprehension.
The Epitome's simplicity is well adapted to the early intermediate student. Its interesting narrative is calculated to engage the student’s attention, and its sublime Latinity does not fail to inspire the reader to deeper learning. This beautiful edition, which has been edited according to the Lingua Latina per se Illustrata series, is ideal for students who have completed Familia Romana as it drills and reviews grammar while adding more than 1,300 words to their vocabulary and modeling excellent Latin prose style.
- Summary of the major biblical stories and all of Jesus' life
- Lhomond's Epitome consists of 209 readings from the Old Testament Books
- This edition includes an addition of 37 sections on Jesus' life and death (totaling 246)
- Every word, cover to cover, is in Latin with vowel lengths marked
- Approximately 16,000 Latin words in length
- More than 1,300 new vocabulary words are taught
- Engaging exercises, including crosswords and matching
- Beautiful historical illustrations
- Perfect for home-schoolers, as it covers the material of a course in Biblical history
- Preface on the life of Lhomond and the text
- Appendices of historical maps, glossary of names, time tables
The Epitome Historiae Sacrae answer key and marginal notes (by Frank Nitsche-Robinson) is available as an electronic file (PDF only) for qualified adopters. If you have adopted the text, click here to request the PDF answer key and marginal notes file.
About the Author:
Roberto Carfagni is a well-known teacher of Latin by the nature method, developed by Hans Ørberg, and has acquired a long experience in the spoken use of the language. He taught Latin literature in the Academy Vivarium novum for four years, and has studied the pedagogical ideals of Italian Humanism.